As some of you may have noticed, Darkout is now out everywhere in its initial release state!
(Steam pending Greenlight)
We’ve been working on Darkout for 18 months, with a beta during the last 3. There are still many things to tweak but Darkout is now available for mass purchase on every site you can think of, besides Steam, though we’re working on that one!
This is all part of the staged release schedule we have mentioned throughout our development. Beta, Initial Release and major content updates afterwards. Bugs will be something we tackle constantly just as we have been since Beta went live.
Just briefly we’d like to cover this release, plans for game improvements, and answer various other questions you may have.
1. Initial release state
We now have the Base level complete in which you can mine, gather, craft, research, and create a ton of gear. Enemies are all around to kill or avoid, the game environment is big and chock full of resources etc. and there are abandoned camps sites, and rare crashed pods to find all with random loot for the taking.
The goal of this state was to have a version where you can explore a small, medium or large world, start gathering resources and building up a base and tech that will help you survive as the world around you starts noticing that you are there to stay, and it does not want you there.
Do we still have some bugs? We have been openly and honestly addressing bugs very quickly for 3 months now, the feeling that we gather from the community at large is that you appreciate the fast response, the quick updates, and that we do listen to the requests put forward for small improvements etc. The HUD for instance, well we thought it would function for first pass, but clearly it was causing frustrations, so we replaced it and added a bunch of features which was not planned for this initial release state. Darkout is all the better for it even with a lot of sleepless nights. :P
2. From this point forward
We have a lot more features and content planned for Darkout. This is just the Initial release which is the first part in a long line of staged patches, 1.0.0 was where we had the basic gameplay and features in and now we will be expanding with more content, extra suits, enemies etc.
We are expanding and adding to the game to improve combat, add bosses, enemies, Biomes, weapons, multiplayer, a male character, more powerful suits, teleportes, unique treasures, forms of transport, implement the back story, preparing scenarios for the future end game and TONS of other stuff.
3. Planned Content patch 1.5
- The very next thing we are working on now is multiplayer. This will also spawn HUGE worlds, and a few modes you and your friends can choose to play. Be it defend your base, capture the others Combinator or survival modes.
- Male character with all current suits will be added and another tech level containing a new set of armour
- Remote, with which you can set traps like triggered grenades, trap doors, trigger floods, lava flows, etc. the possibilities of this system are endless. Bunker yourself in, and surround yourself with a dungeon of traps no one can penetrate or create a room that you can turn completely dark, trap shadow creatures and then flip on the lights and turrets and kill them all.
- Turrets for base defence and mountable on your sled
- Achievements and also implement a backstory/history for the world of Darkout via Data Relics you uncover in camp sites, crashed pods etc. these will also contain blueprints unlocking new items to craft, and other gear.
- Expand on the crafting and usage of crystals in suits. Not only will they grant you a different colour light, but the crystal can add an extra ability to a suit piece.
- And various other bits we’re working on
4. Brief of content patches after
We also have planned
- Vehicles / Mech
- More Biomes (swamp, beach, mutated jungle, new look and dangers in the sky islands, etc.)
- Collapsing mine shafts, old mine shafts, derelict subways and a cloud city / floating fortress
- Extra enemies & Bosses
- Underground bunker with derelict tech and evolved/mutated survivors
- A hidden and dangerous facility hidden deep under the city where the outbreak possibly began
- Underwater city/ruins
- More weapons and Player tech
- Expanded wire and pipes system for fluids
- Weather with rain, and wind and volcanic eruptions
- Thermal power, elemental power based on wind or lighting
- New enemy types
- Shadow Realm
We hope this sheds some light on the future plans for Darkout and rest assured we will reveal a lot more about the developments in coming months.
Thank you to everyone who supported the beta and to everyone who are buying the game, without you we would not be able to continue working on Darkout and improving it for a long time to come!